Saturday, June 6, 2009

Governor's Cup

Distances: 5k, 10k, 1 mile
http://www.govcup.bcbsmt.com/
I joined the planning committee for this race in 2009, so I am going to try to refrain from future updates of this race. But there have been so many changes I did want to acknowledge those.
For the 2008 race the race directors finally asked for advice from local runners, which was a big first step in overcoming the race's organizational problems. The nonsensical old system of charging extra to FedEx people their t-shirts and race numbers has been replaced with a standard pre-race packet pickup. More importantly, they started using chip timing at the finish. This resulted in a dramatic decrease in reports of inaccurate times and places.
I ran the 10k in 2006 and 2008 and the half marathon in 2007. The 10k is a little hilly for a road race, but it does have a downhill finish and I'm personally fond of the sections that pass the capitol building. The 5k has a lot of participants, but most aren't racing. I saw plenty of water stations in the 10k, but in 2008 the volunteers just had the cups of water on the table rather than handing them to runners. The addition of some on-course entertainment in 2008 was also nice.
In 2009, the half-marathon and marathon were discontinued. Many members of the Helena running community were disappointed with this as it was the only marathon or half-marathon in town. I did not participate in this decision but I do support it. I would rather see a well-organized 5k/10k than have resources spread between 4 or 5 poorly organized races. Hopefully someone will step up to start a new marathon/half soon.

No comments: