Sunday, June 17, 2012

Beacon Rock

Distances: 50k, 25k
In both 2011 and 2012 I thought this race stood out for all the related social events. You could show up as early as Friday night to camp out for the Sunday race. Post-race there was not just a barbecue, but a live bluegrass band. The race course was a short stretch of paved and dirt road from the group campsite at Beacon Rock State Park to a figure-eight loop on dirt road and single-track, the 25k group does one loop and the 50k group does two. Aid station volunteers are always saints, but I was particularly impressed with the helpfulness of these volunteers. But maybe that's because I ran the 50k and we passed the same the aid station, strategically located at the junction of the figure-eight, four times in total and got to know the volunteers rather well. This is the first of the many races directed by James Varner that I've run and I would certainly be willing to do another of his events. Kudos to the Glenn Tachiyama, the 2012 race photographer. I find most race photos make you look awkward or pained, but he managed to take the single best running photo of me ever! (not to brag, but damn if he don't make me look good! http://www.pbase.com/gtach/image/144152473)

No comments: